1. Birds love me. Especially hawks. I used to get visits from a red-tailed hawk and a Cooper’s hawk (separately of course). They’d fly down to my deck to check out the action at the bird feeder and look in the window at me. The visits stopped after I took down the feeders, and so I just decided it was a silly fancy. But then I visited a wildlife preserve on my birthday, and the red-tailed hawk flew from the back of its enclosure to land on a branch near me, stared me in the face, and proceeded to try to talk to me. It was cool. Unnerving but cool.
2. I’ve never seen a ghost but I believe that other people do.
3. I used to be good in the saddle. The first time I did “flying changes of lead” I felt invincible.
4. My cousin–close as a sister–died when I was 11 years old.
5. My smart mouth gets me into a lot of trouble.
6. I once stopped a charging horse by raising one hand, pulling myself up to my full height (of five-foot-five), and yelling at it. It wheeled on a dime and ran in the opposite direction. After that, I no longer doubted it when people told me I could be intimidating.
7. I’ve never known how to dress. I was such a hopeless hippie my college roommate, a Southern belle from Richmond, felt she had to take me in hand and give me some lessons in looking feminine. I got the graduate course when I moved to Houston from my best friend. Now, I am apparently so girly that it is a great source of humor among my friends.
8. But I still like getting dirty. That might be partly why gardening is so much fun.
9. I was married to the Duke Blue Devil.
10. Now that I’m grown, my aunts talk about sex around me. They’ve told me some UNBELIEVABLY dirty jokes.
11. Sometimes I’m overcome with a longing to go live in a yurt on my family’s land in South Carolina and become an organic farmer.
12. A psychic once told me my father and I shared a past life as Viking warriors. I like believing that because I’m sure he made me jump through as many hoops a thousand years ago as he does today.
13. I hated being an only child. It just seemed so unfair that I didn’t have siblings.
14. I love the West, especially the high desert. New Mexico, Arizona, southwest Texas, parts of California. Some part of me feels completely at home there.
15. I also know what it means to miss New Orleans.
16. In 2008, I figured out how to open my heart chakra. It was hideously painful–for about an hour I thought I would die of it–but now I can feel joy again. A funny thing and a sad thing–I was so numb, I didn’t even know I was numb.
17. I’m a Soul Train hippie. Peace, love, and fabulous fashion.
18. When I was in middle school, I had a collie named Lassie.
19. If I had heard Marcia Ball when I was learning piano, there is no power on earth that could have kept me from trying to be a professional musician. Perhaps that’s why my dad kept me on a strict diet of classical music…
20. My favorite movie is The Wizard of Oz.
21. Gregory Peck in Duel in the Sun–Gregory Peck in The Big Country. It’s a tossup which one makes my heart beat faster.
22. Prematurely gray hair turns me on.
23. Every cat I’ve owned has been a killer. The particularly savage pair now living with me bagged two snakes, birds galore, and even a squirrel before they were a year old. All they left of the squirrel was its tail…. and they look so sweet and innocent.
24. I wrote my first short story when I was in 3rd grade.
25. I’m terrified of drowning.